Labor Studies and Radical History 4444 Geary Blvd., Suite 207, San Francisco, CA 94118
Online Catalog Internet Links Home Page Collection Description Hours & Services Location & Map Luís Exhibit Site Index
Alternative War News | Background Information | Bibliography | Civil Liberties | Organizations | Photos, Audio, & Video | Posters | Youth & the Military
Hands Off Venezuela - http://www.handsoffvenezuela.org/
San Francisco Bay Area Hands Off Venezuela - http://www.handsoffvenezuela.org/san_francisco_bay_venezuela300505.htm
International campaign "to defend the Bolivarian revolution, to oppose US intervention in Venezuela and to ensure that truthful information about what was really happening in Venezuela would reach the trade union and labour movement outside."
Venezuela Solidary Network - http://www.venezuelasolidarity.org/
"involves a diversity of solidarity, progressive and left organisations Australia-wide. These organisations have come together to coordinate Australian solidarity activities with the Bolivarian revolution in Venezuela."
Bay Area United Against War - http://www.bauaw.org/
"an emerging regional coalition formed to oppose a U.S. war on Iraq." They are organizaing a march and rally on Sunday, February 16, 2003 in San Francisco.
Not In Our Name Project - http://www.notinourname.net/
"Project was initiated at a meeting in New York City, on March 23, 2002...called for by a letter...that proposed ways to strengthen and expand resistance to the U.S. government's course in the wake of September 11, 2001.
Not In Our Name - SF Bay Area - http://www.nionbayarea.net/
911 Peace Network - http://911peace.net/
San Francisco Town Hall Committee Against Hate and War, antiwar coalition formed in response to the U.S. war drive.
Guide to Anti-war websites - http://www.guardian.co.uk/antiwar/subsection/0,12809,884056,00.html
From the UK's Guardian Unlimited website.
International A.N.S.W.E.R. - http://www.internationalanswer.org/
"Act Now to Stop War and Racism" coalition. One of the organizers of the October 26 , 2002 National March on Washington, D.C. and joint action in San Francisco.
Iraq Aftermath: The Human Face of War - http://www.afsc.org/human-face/default.htm
A campaign of the American Friends Service Committee in response to the tragedies of September 11, 2001 and its aftermath.
Stop the War Coalition - http://www.stopwar.org.uk/
Coalition of United Kingdom antiwar groups. Site includes event announcements, photos of demonstrations, articles, and more.
United for Peace & Justice - http://www.unitedforpeace.org/
A "coalition of more than 650 local and national groups throughout the United States who have joined together to oppose our government's policy of permanent warfare and empire-building."
U.S. Labor Against War - http://www.uslaboragainstwar.org/
"A network of unions and other labor groups opposed to the U.S. invasion of Iraq, to a foreign policy of unilateralism and preemptive military aggression, and the diversion of tax dollars from critical social needs to the military and its corporate contractors."
Holt Labor Library Links - http://www.open.igc.org/holtlibrary/Links.html
Links to 20 current news sources and 62 labor and left periodicals.
Venezuela Watch - http://www.zmag.org/venezuela_watch.cfm
"This site covers the US-supported coup in Venezuela of April 2002, and news on the situation in Venezuela before and since from ZNet."
Al Jazeera - http://english.aljazeera.net/HomePage
English language website of the Qatar based satellite television network.
Antiwar.Com - http://www.antiwar.com/
A libertarian "source for antiwar news, viewpoints and activities."
Electronic Iraq - http://electronicIraq.net/news/
"a news portal on the US-Iraq crisis published by ...Voices in the Wilderness and...the Electronic Intifada." Includes news, opinion , and background information.
Independent Media Center Library - http://urbana.indymedia.org/library/terrorism.html
"U-C IMC Librarians have culled together links to alternative souces of information on terrorism and the attacks of September 11, 2001."
IndyMedia - http://www.indymedia.org/
"collective of independent media organizations and hundreds of journalists offering grassroots, non-corporate coverage."
Iraq Body Count - http://www.iraqbodycount.net
"project to establish an independent and comprehensive public database of media-reported civilian deaths in Iraq resulting directly from military actions by the USA and its allies."
Michael Moore - http://www.michaelmoore.com
Intelligent commentary, biting satire, and excellent links.
Pacifica Radio - http://www.pacifica.org
Listen live to Pacifica stations, download in mp3 format or streaming audio Peacewatch, Democracy Now, and other shows.
Peace Now, Freedom Now - http://www.PeaceNowFreedomNow.net/
"Clearinghouse for peace-related event announcements in the San Francisco Bay Area."
PeaceNet - http://www.igc.org/peacenet/index.html
From IGC, "the U.S. member of the Association for Progressive Communications, a global partnership of computer networks that link activists around the world."
Protest Net - http://www.protest.net/
A portal to antiwar protests around the world.
Secrecy News - http://www.fas.org/sgp/news/secrecy/
Federation of American Scientists project "works to challenge excessive government secrecy and to promote public oversight."
War in Iraq - http://www1.iraqwar.ru/?userlang=en
English language "project was created for providing timely and unbiased coverage of the war in Iraq...not dominated by corporate interests, national agendas or political ideologies."
War Times - http://www.war-times.org
"War Times is being produced to help broaden and deepen the fight against the Bush program by compiling information and analysis, and putting them into the hands of large numbers of readers."
13 Myths - http://islandimage.net/oc/13myths/
Fully documented fact sheet exposing "13 Myths about the case for war in Iraq." Available in a variety of formats.
Afghanistan, the Taliban, and the US - http://library.berkeley.edu/SSEAL/SouthAsia/afghan_US.html
Links to maps and other general reference material, news sources from Afghanistan and Pakistan, and much more. From the University of California Library South Asia Resources.
Cost of War - http://www.costofwar.com/index.html
"running total of the amount of money spent by the US Government to finance the war in Iraq [and] different ways that we could have chosen to use the money" including schools, housing, health, and hunger.
Geneva Conventions - http://www.genevaconventions.org/
Reference Guide from the Society of Professional Journalists
History of Afghanistan - http://www.marxists.org/history/afghanistan/index.htm
From the Marxists Internet Archive, the site includes a timeline, "Washington's Secret War Against Afghanistan," by Phillip Bonosky, and other materials.
Killing Hope: U.S. Military and CIA Interventions Since World War II - http://members.aol.com/bblum6//American_holocaust.htm
Selected chapters, including the chapter on Afghanistan, from the book by William Blum, as well as other essays by Blum.
National Priorities Project - http://nationalpriorities.org/
"Showing how federal tax and spending policies impact your community" and including a searchable database of "Military Recruits by High School, Zip Code, Community, State."
National Security Archives - http://www.gwu.edu/~nsarchiv/nsa/the_archive.html
World's largest non governmental library of declassified documents.
Rogue State: A Guide to the World's Only Superpower - http://members.aol.com/superogue/
Selected chapters from the William Blum book by the same name.
American Civil Liberties Union - http://www.aclu.org/
Includes information on current threats to civil liberties and "Ten Points Statement of Principles: In Defense of Freedom at a Time of Crisis."
Center for Democracy and Technology - http://www.cdt.org/security/010911response.shtml
Organization "works to promote democratic values and constitutional liberties in the digital age." Site includes current legislative proposals, testimony, and analysis.
Electronic Frontier Foundation - http://eff.org/Censorship/Terrorism_militias/antiterrorism_chill.html
Chilling Effects of Anti-Terrorism page "attempts to convey the chilling effect that responses to the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001, have had on information availability on the Internet as well as some sense of the effect on people trying to provide this information.
National Lawyers Guild - http://www.nlg.org
Includes an updated "Know Your Rights" pamphlet and other relevant information.
Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press - http://www.rcfp.org/behindthehomefront
"A daily chronicle of news in homeland security and military operations affecting newsgathering, access to information and the public's right to know."
Anti-War Posters - http://reclaimthestreetsnyc.tao.ca/posters/title.html
Posters for download in Adobe PDF format. New posters constantly being added.
Anti War Posters - http://www.adamnieman.co.uk/posters/
Posters from England.
Another Poster for Peace -http://www.anotherposterforpeace.com/
Copyright-free antiwar posters from a "group of designers who are commited to the peaceful and just resolution of the current crises in the Middle East."
Design Action - http://www.designaction.org/morelinks.html
Downloadable posters, flyers, and artwork.
Inkworks Press - http://home.igc.org/~inkworks/nowar/nowar.html
No War Against Iraq windowsigns.
Steve Lyons Peace Posters - http://stevenlyons.com/peace/
Full color posters for download, including the one used here.
Wake the World - http://www.waketheworld.org/index.cfm
Black and white "copyright free anti-war posters that you can print off and display in windows, on walls and at protest marches."
IndyMedia - http://sf.indymedia.org
Photographs from worldwide antiwar protests, plus audio and video.
Bay Area Not In Our Name- http://www.notinourname.net/~bayarea/feb16air.htm
Aerial photos of San Francisco's February 16, 2003 antiwar march and rally.
170 Photographs - http://www.punchdown.org/rvb/F15/
Photo from over 110 antiwar protests around the world on February 15/16, 2003.
Protests Around the World - http://www.hyperreal.org/~dana/
More photos from Feb. 15-16, 2003 antiwar protests.
Lake Merritt Neighbors Organized for Peace - http://lmno4p.org/
Photo collage of demonstrations around the globe.
BBC News - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/hi/pop_ups/03/world_world_peace_protests/html/5.stm
"In pictures: world peace protests."
Iraqi War Song (or I think I'm Smellin' a Rat Rag) - http://www.healingcelebrations.com/
Click on photo on left side of screen for audio. Lyrics by Country Joe McDonald and Len Horowitz, performed by Country Bumpkin and the Hogs.
San Francisco Peace Rally - http://home.earthlink.net/~klschartz/PeaceSite/Index.htm
Photos from Sept. 27, 2001, Oct 7, 2001, and April 20, 2002 demonstrations. From website by KimberLeigh Schartz.
Afghan War - http://www.dqc.org/~ben/index2.htm
Photos from individual photographers, wire services, and television.
Alternative Views on the September 11th Atrocities - http://mediaed.sitepassport.net/btf
"Streaming video featuring America's leading dissident thinkers and activists."
Campus Antiwar Network - http://www.campusantiwar.net/
"an independent, democratic, grassroots network of campus-based anti-war committees."
Youth & Militarism - http://www.afsc.org/youthmil/
Rights and alternative options to military enlistment, from the American Friends Service Committee.
- Bonosky, Phillip. Washington's Secret War Against Afghanistan. New York: International Publishers, 1985.
- Jenness, Doug. The Truth About Afghanistan. New York: Pathfinder Press, 1980.
- Marx, Karl and Frederick Engels. On Colonialism. Moscow: Progress Publishers, 1968.
- Rashid, Ahmed. Taliban: The Story of the Afghan Warlords. London: Pan Books, 2001.
- America's Disappeared: Secret Imprisonment, Detainees, and the "War On Terror." (New!) Rachel Meeropol, editor. New York: Seven Stories Press, 2005.
- Challenging US Human Rights Violations Since 9/11. (New!) Meiklejohn Civil LIberties Institute; Ann Fagan Ginger, editor. Amherst, NY: Prometheus Books: 2005.
- Honey, Mike. (New!) A Soldier's Duty?: The Ehren Watada Story. Tacoma. [videorecording] WA: Underdog Productions, 2006.
- How to Use "New" Civil Rights Laws after 9-11: What Are the "New" Laws, What Cases Have They Won, How Are They Enforced. (New!) Ann Fagan Ginger, editor. Berkeley, CA: Meiklejohn Civil Liberties Institute, 2002.
- Ratner, Michael and Ellen Ray. (New!) Guantánamo: What the World Should Know. White River Junction, VT: Chelsea Green Publishing, 2004.
- Webb, Maureen. (New!) Illusions of Security: Global Surveillance and Democracy in the Post-9/11 World. San Francisco: City Lights, 2007.
- Crisis In the Gulf: Excerpts from a National Teach-In, 9-14-90. [Videorecording] Committee Against the Vietnam War In the Middle East, 1990.
- Hulet, Craig B. Hussein, Oil, Cpi, S & L, Drug War: Why Bush "Needs" a War? Seattle, WA: KC & Assoc., 1990.
- Hulet, Craig B. Hussein's Mythical Nukes and Iraq's Military Power. Seattle, WA: KC & Assoc., 1990.
- Schoenman, Ralph. Iraq and Kuwait: A History Suppressed. Santa Barbara, CA: Veritas Press, 1990.
- Barsamian, David. (New!) Propaganda and the Public Mind: Conversations with Noam Chomsky. Cambridge, MA: South End Press, 2001
- Chomsky, Noam. Media Control: The Spectacular Achievements of Propaganda. Westfield, NJ: Open Media, 1993.
- Chomsky, Noam. Necessary Illusions: Thought Control in Democratic Societies. Boston: South End Press, 1989.
- Herman, Edward S. and Noam Chomsky. Manufacturing Consent: The Political Economy of the Mass Media. New York: Pantheon Books, 1988.
- Parenti, Michael. Inventing Reality: the Politics of the Mass Media. New Yorkk: St. Martin's Press, 1986.
- Ali, Tariq. The Clash of Fundamentalisms: Crusades, Jihads and Modernity. London: Verso, 2002.
- Buch, Peter. Burning Issues of the Mideast Crisis. New York: Merit Publishers, [n.d.].
- Chomsky, Noam. The Fateful Triangle: The United States, Israel & the Palestinians. Boston: South End Press,1983.
- Frankel, Dave and Tom Foley. Self-Determination in the Mideast: A Debate From the Pages of The Militant and Daily World. New York: Pathfinder Press, 1974.
- Hirst, David. The Gun and the Olive Branch: The Roots of Violence in the Middle East. New York: Thunder's Mouth Press/Nations Books, 2003
- Morris, Benny. Righteous Victims: A History of the Zionist-Arab Conflict, 1881-2001. New York: Vintage Books, 2001.
- Rodinson, Maxime. Israel: A Colonial-Settler State? New York: Monad Press, 1973.
- Schoenman, Ralph. The Hidden History of Zionism. Santa Barbara, CA: Veritas Press, 1988.
- Blair, John M. The Control of Oil. New York: Pantheon Books, 1976.
- Chomsky, Noam. Oil and Terror in Iraq. [audio-cassette] Denver: What's Left, 1999.
- Engler, Robert. The Politics of Oil. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1961.
- O'Connor, Harvey. The Empire of Oil. New York: Monthly Review Press, 1955
- Odell, Peter R. Oil and World Power. London: Penguin Books Ltd., 1970.
- Roberts, Dick. Mideast Oil & U.S. Imperialism. New York: Pathfinder Press, 1971.
- Chomsky, Noam. The Culture of Terrorism. Boston: South End Press, 1988.
- Curtis, Adam. (New!) The Power of Nightmares: The Rise of the Politics of Fear. [Videorecording] London: BBC, 2004.
- Novack, George. Marxism Versus Neo-Anarchist Terrorism. New York: Pathfinder Press, 1970.
- Trotsky, Leon. Against Individual Terrorism. New York: Pathfinder Press, 1974.
U.S. Foreign Relations
- Achcar, Gilbert. The Clash of Barbarisms: September 11 and the Making of the New World Disorder. New York: Monthly Review Press, 2002.
- Avirgan, Tony. Inside the Shadow Government. Washington DC: Christic Institute,1988.
- Blum, William. Killing Hope: U.S. Military and CIA Interventions Since World War II. Monroe, ME: Common Courage Press, 1995.
- Blum, William. Rogue State: A Guide to the World's Only Superpower. Monroe, ME: Common Courage Press, 2000.
- Chomsky, Noam. Terrorizing the Neighborhood: American Foreign Policy in the Post-Cold War Era. Stirling, Scotland: AK Press, 1991.
- Halstead, Fred. Out Now! A Participant's Account of the American Movement Against the Vietnam War. New York: Monad Press, 1978.
- Johnson, Chalmers A. Blowback: The Costs and Consequences of American Empire. New Yorkk: Metropolitan Books, 2000.
- Mehdi, Mohammad T. Of Lions, Chained: An Arab Looks at America. San Francisco: New World Press, 1962.
- Stich, Rodney. Defrauding America: Encyclopedia of Secret Operations by the CIA, DEA, and Other Covert Agencies. Alamo, CA: Diablo Western Press, 1998.
- U.S. Labor Against the War. [Videorecording] Chicago: Labor Beat, 2003
- What I've Learned About U.S. Foreign Policy: CIA Covert Operations and U.S. Interventions Since World War II. [Videorecording] A compilation of speeches by by Martin Luther King, Jr., John Stockwell, Ramsey Clark, Amy Goodman, Brian Wilson, and others compiled by Frank Dorrel. 2001.
The Holt Labor Library collection includes many more related materials. Please refer to our Online Catalog for additional titles.
The Holt Labor Library provides these links for your convenience. While every effort has been made to ensure that the information is accurate, the Holt Labor Library makes no guarantees as to the accuracy or completeness of the information on these sites, and is not liable for any inaccuracy, error, or omission, regardless of cause.
Return to Top of Page
holtlabor [at] holtlaborlibrary.org Pages created by Shannon Sheppard, MLIS